A 48V DC/DC step down converter for harsh automotive applications.
Vehicles are getting more advanced and come featured packed. Today’s vehicle offers higher safety, better infotainment system and higher comfort. All these features require a higher amount of power. Therefore, the new automotive designs are adopting 48V power systems to reduce the weight and power loss in the vehicle’s cable harnesses.
The MPQ2908 from Monolithic power is a 48V to 12V buck converter, capable of delivering 15A of current and complying with CISPR-25 Class 5 EMC standards. The automotive buck converter has an efficiency of up to 95%. It employs a dual N-channel MOSFET driver. The reference design is AEC-Q100 qualified and has a wide 4V to 60V operating input range. The DC/DC converter has a programmable soft start and features multiple safety features including output over-voltage protection (OVP), over-current protection (OCP), external input over-voltage protection (OVP), external reverse-polarity protection (RPP), etc.
This reference design has been tested by MCP. It comes with all the essential resources such as the BoM, schematics, test results, etc to ease designing. You can find additional data about the reference design on the company’s website. To read more about this reference design click here.
Features of MPQ2908:
• Dual N-Channel MOSFET Driver
• 0.8V Voltage Reference with ±1.5% Accuracy Over Temperature
• Low Dropout Operation: Maximum Duty Cycle at 99.5%
• Programmable Frequency Range: 100kHz – 1000kHz
• External Sync Clock Range: 100kHz – 1000kHz
• 180º Out-of-Phase SYNCO Pin
• Programmable Soft Start (SS)
• Power Good (PG) Output Voltage Monitor
• Selectable Cycle-by-Cycle Current Limit
• Output Over-Voltage Protection (OVP)
• Over-Current Protection (OCP)
• Internal LDO with External Power Supply Option
• Programmable Forced CCM and AAM
• Available in TSSOP20-EP and QFN-20 (3mmx4mm) Packages
• Available in a Wettable Flank Package
• External Frequency Spread-Spectrum modulation (FSS)
• External Input Over-Voltage Protection (OVP)
• External Reverse-Polarity Protection (RPP)